Wednesday, 29 July 2026

Outwood Viaduct, near Radcliffe Greater Manchester made by Andrew Handyside 1881

Andrew Handyside who made Friargate bridge in Derby made lots of bridges and viaducts around the world, here is one such example near Manchester.

A couple of months ago I made a special trip to see Outwood Viaduct, near Radcliffe Greater Manchester.

The viaduct was built in 1881 by Andrew Handyside and Company of Derby, this was a very late use of cast iron for such a purpose. The London, Midland and Scottish Railway replaced the timber decking in 1923. The railway closed in 1966 and the bridge fell into disuse.

The bridge was restored as part of a project to reclaim disused industrial land for community use and converted into a walking and cycling trail. It was re-opened on 25th June 1999 by Sir William McAlpine, the president of the Railway Heritage Trust. It is now owned by Bury Metropolitan Borough Council.

I made two trips especially to see Outwood viaduct which was a total of 252 miles there and back. A difficult one to capture as the banks of the Irwell are completely lined with well established trees and access down to the river banks is near impossible. So my second visit was with my drone which allowed me to get these great shots of it.

Best watched on a large smart TV as it's recorded in 4K with nice music.

Join my dedicated Andrew Handyside Facebook group to see all the hundreds of items around the world that I have found, so far I have mapped out 101 bridges, 44 fountains, 34 railway stations and I have loads more to research.

Hope you enjoy my video of yet another incredible bit of engineering made in Derby.

Link to my video :

No comments:

Post a Comment